[Opengenalliance] old bailey proceedings

Guy Etchells guy.etchells at virgin.net
Sat May 14 06:48:03 BST 2011

On 13/05/2011 23:08, Ben Brumfield wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Guy Etchells<guy.etchells at virgin.net>  wrote:
snip

>> If commercical concerns cannot claim copyright or as many do these day place
>> conditions of use on their images and database they will not digitise the
>> records and we the public will be the losers.

snip

> I disagree with your statement that commercial concerns will not
> digitize if they cannot claim copyright.  Although I'm not a lawyer,
> I'm pretty familiar with American law on the subject, and I believe it
> is far friendlier to digitization efforts than (what I understand of)
> UK law.

snip

> If you look at their stock price, Ancestry.com has been quite
> successful under the US copyright regimen.
>
> Ben

Ben you missed the rest of the point "or as many do these day place
 >> conditions of use on their images and database "

It is the fact that the companies are allowed to impose licence
conditions that allows these companies to profit from digitisation.
Such licencing works as an extension of copyright and is in fact far
more restrictive than copyright.
Cheers
Guy

--