[Opengenalliance] old bailey proceedings

Javier Ruiz javier at openrightsgroup.org
Mon May 16 11:53:33 BST 2011

Hi Guy

besides the eloquent arguments by Ben, there is another point being missed.

I completely agree with the very valid point you make about costs. All we
are saying is that after costs have been recovered eventually records should
end up in the public domain where they belong.

And it's not about bashing private companies at all, which after all only
have a duty to their shareholders. Both The National Archives and the
British Library are cashing in and restricting access on their online
services, independently of the commercial deals.

These UK cultural institutions see the Internet as a way to generate income,
rather than an extension of their mission. The argument being that their
core mandate only relates to the physical world. As I was told by one of the
managers of the British Library, they are conceptualised as "buildings", and
do not get proper funding for the digital revolution.

This is what we at ORG see as a fundamental UK policy failure: no public
mandate for digital access, no funding and no linking to openness.

France has just prepared a national fund of €4.2 Billion for Information
Society, including a good chunk for cultural digitisation. This is not just
a matter of crisis and cuts, but about public policy, and not necessarily
partisan in UK.

What we are saying is not that radical as you make it sound. It is
fundamentally pretty much what is being recommended for years now in every
European report and study on digitisation, culminating in the Committee of
Sages:

*- Cultural institutions should make public domain material digitised with
public funding as widely available as possible for access and re-use. This
cross-border access should be part of the funding conditions for
digitisation across Europe. The use of intrusive watermarks or other means
that limit the use of the material should be avoided.*
*
*
*- The European Commission should consider ways and means to eliminate the
differences in the rights status of digitised material between the Member
States in a context where cross-border access and use is the norm. In
principle the mere digitisation process should not generate any new rights.*
*
*
*- In order to protect the interests of public institutions entering into a
partnership with a private partner a set of minimum conditions should be
respected:*

   - *The contents of the agreement between a public cultural institution
   and a private partner should be made public.*
   - *The digitised public domain material should be free of charge for the
   general public and available in all EU Member States.*
   - *The private partner should provide cultural institutions with
   digitised files of the same quality as the ones it uses itself.*
   - *The maximum time of preferential use of material digitised in
   public-private partnerships must not exceed 7 years. This period is
   considered adequate to generate, on one hand, incentives for private
   investment in mass-digitisation of cultural assets, and, on the other, to
   allow sufficient control of the public institutions over their digitised
   material.*

http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/digital_libraries/doc/reflection_group/final-report-cdS3.pdf

Current arrangements fail on most of the above: 10 year deals, no archival
quality copies, paywalls and commercial confidentiality of contracts.

Best, Javier