[Opengenalliance] OGA Update

Javier Ruiz javier at openrightsgroup.org
Mon Jun 13 14:21:51 BST 2011

Dear friends

I will endeavour to keep regular updates on activities and projects we are
carrying out. Please drop me a line if you would like to know more about
anything here, it would be great to get everyone more active.

*Open Genealogy Alliance in Berlin*

Nick Barratt, executive director of FreeBMD -- one of the founding partners
of the Open Genealogy Alliance -- will be introducing the ideas behind the
alliance at the Open Knowledge Foundation Conference in Berlin, June 30th.

http://okcon.org/2011/programme

*School Registers Digitisation Project*

Javier Ruiz, coordinator of the Open Genealogy Alliance met with
representatives of The National Archives and The Archives and Records
Association to explore the possibility of OGA partners taking on the project
to digitise and index 500,000 pages. The talks were very positive and the
OGA was strongly encouraged to follow the bidding process.

The deadline for proposals is the beginning of July, very short. If you have
experience with the LIA programme of The National Archives you could greatly
help with the bidding papers.

http://www.archives.org.uk/si-acalg/news-and-events.html

*Partnership with Citizen Science Alliance*
*
*
We have reached a preliminary agreement with the CSA, the very nice people
behind the successful and popular science crowdsourcing project GalaxyZoo,
to have access to their amazing transcription software in the schools
register project. Details need to be finalised but this will be an updated
version of the software they currently use in

http://www.oldweather.org

*Wikimedia and GLAM*

GLAM is an acronym for Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums. Wikimedia
is organising an event to promote free and open content in institutions.

http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAMcamp_London

*Access to parish records project*
*
*
Open Rights Group and FreeREG are trying to improve access to parish
records. There are as many licensing and access criteria almost as parishes
and this seems to be one key area for the OGA in campaigning potential. ORG
is starting to develop some guidance and would like to hear about your
experiences. They need information on access issues in as many County
archives as possible. Mail javier at openrightsgroup.org for now. We are
setting a dedicated email address for access issues.