[Opengenalliance] old bailey proceedings

David Mayall david.mayall at googlemail.com
Fri May 13 13:19:31 BST 2011

I don't see any copyright reset.

The copyright status of the original documents is (and must be) unchanged.

What I do see is a claim that the newly digitised images of those documents
are a copyright work.

There is nothing new about such a claim, and all suppliers of digitised
images tend to include a similar claim.

As Francis has already noted, such a claim lies in the grey area, It is
neither rock solid, nor completely outlandish to assume that creating a
digital image of something will create a new copyright in that digital
image. The key question will probably be "does creating an image that can
stand in place of the original require skill as opposed to simple mechanical
action".

  _____