[Opengenalliance] Update from Cornwall

Alexandra Eveleigh aeveleigh at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 19 12:04:08 GMT 2013

Hello

GRO are right about one thing though - this is indeed an old chestnut, as
any local archivist will sigh and tell you (although the confusion does
usually focus on access and copying of the registers themselves, not the
local indexes).  The argument has been ongoing for at least 30 years, to my
knowledge.  Every so often, GRO gets hot under the collar about it, or a
local Diocesan archivist attempts to get some kind of clarity.  The issue
was last discussed on the UK archivists listserv in late 2011, and the
final message on the thread (this time last year) was from TNA saying they
had been looking into the legal aspects and promising imminent advice on
the subject.  I haven't seen anything (and can't immediately find anything
on TNA's website) but I'm no longer working at a Diocesan Record Office, so
may have missed it.  But if you are looking into this too, it might be
worth contacting the relevant people at TNA.

The listserv's new interface is confusing me this morning and I cannot work
out how to link to a whole thread - but if you go to
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=ARCHIVES-NRA and search for
'marriage registers' you will find all the relevant messages.

Alexandra