[Opengenalliance] Fw: [OpenGLAM] Paywalls on digital content

Guy Etchells guy.etchells at virgin.net
Tue Mar 4 07:02:22 GMT 2014

On 03/02/2014 14:31, Javier Ruiz wrote:
> FYI The view from the open archive community

Whilst I am in favour of Open Data, I also realise that there is no such
thing as free, someone has to pay. If a government makes data available
free online the taxpayer foots the bill, not the government, they do not
have any money.
I support and have supported many initatives to release data to the
public, I was instrumental in gaining the early release of the 1911
census for England and Wales back in 2006. I am currently campaigning to
have the historic civil registers of births, marriages and deaths for
England & Wales released. At present access to these records is only by
way of certificate costing £10 each. I and many others over the years
ask for the to be released to the National Archives or County Record
Offices where they could be viewed free of charge.
Part of the campaign also includes the digital option of a commercial
concern digitising the images and making them available under licence
online. I appreciate this would be at a cost to the user but someone has
to pay and a subscription would in many cases be far less than trips to
the archives for free access.
Please view the campaign at http://anguline.co.uk/ohrn.html
We welcome all support.
Cheers