[Opengenalliance] Update from Cornwall

Michael J McCormick michaeljmcc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 16:59:57 BST 2012

Hello folks

There doesn't seem to be much traffic on this list, so I thought you might like an update on things down here in Cornwall.  The Cornish Online Parish Clerk scheme has an online free-to-view database C-PROP.  Although primarily aimed at the Cornish parish registers, we are also collecting other data.  This is the current status:

Total parish register entries uploaded just over 2 million.  There are about 85 thousand other records including newspaper BMDs from a sister project that is transcribing the main local paper.  We also have a facility that allows complete or partial uploading of the information on certificates people have purchased from the GRO.  Finally there are about 133 thousand records from other sources.  Currently we are photographing prison, workhouse and burial registers.  The last is working on the 2 dozen or so that are in the hands of parish or town councils, not the record office.

Finally, the Cornwall Online Census Project has been contacted by the Institute of Cornish Studies at the University of Exeter, asking for permission to download the COCP data for research purposes.  We have told the student concerned to go ahead.  I remember that the originator of Free Census said that the project would serve other research rather than just family history.  This is the first time we have been asked.

Rgds

Michael
OPC Baldhu & Cricklade