[Opengenalliance] How open is FamilySearch?

Ben Brumfield benwbrum at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 10:03:09 GMT 2012

I'm considering integrating my manuscript transcription software tightly
with FamilySearch to look up and provide unique IDs for people and places.
(Although I wish it were possible, this is not something that can be done
with sites like DBPedia because Wikipedia's notability requirement excludes
most people who show up in genealogical records.)

I am concerned that FamilySearch may not be considered Open, however.  They
have an excellent, free-as-in-beer API to their data, but you certainly
can't download all their records and trees to set up your own database.

What is the general perception of FamilySearch's openness among the
community?

Their license agreement is here:
https://devnet.familysearch.org/certification/affiliate-programs/familysearch-legal-agreements/APILicense.pdf

Pardon me if this is considered off-topic.

Ben Brumfield
Austin, Texas