[Opengenalliance] Mormon church’s FamilySearch joins forces with Ancestry.com

todd.d.robbins at gmail.com todd.d.robbins at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 14:18:56 BST 2013

@Javier/@Ben,

I would assume (cross your fingers) the images and some sort of
transcription (as with other FamilySearch Indexing <
https://familysearch.org/volunteer/indexing> projects) will be available
free of charge through FamilySearch though the same collections will also
be available through Ancestry's subscription service.

As a reminder, I am Mormon and thus know a bit about the working of
FamilySearch and know some employees of the non-profit. Anyhow, I think
there is an opportunity to help the church and specifically FamilySearch
understand the benefits of openly licensing both their scans and the
associated metadata (both imagery-related and the transcriptions from the
indexing) for reuse and repurposing.